Given that the show has the word virgin in its title, Jane the Virgin tackled sex and sexuality in a riveting murder mystery episode.
- Adam’s Bisexuality – Jane was shocked to learn that Adam is bisexual. It was the bisexuality party that bothered her as much as the fact that he hid it from her for so long. Adam’s reasoning was legit — he didn’t want the little fact to break them up as it had multiple relationships before. Jane promised not to be awkward about it but every time she saw him with a dude, she couldn’t help but wonder if he was into him. She even began questioning her own sexuality and tried to kiss her BFF Lina, which honestly, I do with my friends all the time so #NoBigDeal people! Jane finally took Lina’s advice and confronted Adam about her feelings. He answered many of her questions including “is this a stepping stone to coming out as gay.” In case you yourself are wondering, it isn’t.
- Lina’s Wedding Dilemma – We don’t get the pleasure of seeing Lina on a daily basis but that hasn’t changed her dynamic with Jane. As she’s gearing up marry the love of her life, she calls upon Jane for maid of honor duties. Jane is a little taken aback to find out that Lina, the crazy, party-loving, wild child wants to do a murder mystery dinner but she goes with it. That is until Lina tells her she’s really not sure if she wants to marry Danny because he’s kind of a “bore.” It’s understandable to get cold feet before the wedding but Lina tasked Jane with making the sole decision on whether or not she should walk down the aisle. Talk about pressure. As much as Jane wants to stay out of it, she tells Lina she’s not 100% convinced Danny is the guy for her. But during the murder mystery, she learns that he knows a lot about Lina and even though he’s not the man she imagined marrying, he’s who she fell in love with. It’s time for a wedding!
- Rafael is Alive, Thank God! – Last week, the episode left us with a devastating cliffhanger. Would Raf die after being mowed down by Katherine’s car? The good news is no, he didn’t die, he was just badly beat up. But his deal to get the hotel back was completely foiled. Even worse — Katherine told Luisa all about Raf’s plan to buy the hotel back. Luisa kicked him out again, forcing him to move back with the Villanueva’s. But he was back soon enough to talk to Luisa about Carl, a hallucination she was having similar to the one she had when doing her medical residency.
- Luisa’s Lost It… or Has She? – During last week’s episode, Anezka told her mother that Luisa was talking to a man that didn’t exist. Or did he? Turns out, Carl was real but he was playing Luisa’s imaginary friend so that Rafael would commit her and Anezka would get her shares of the hotel making her part owner. There were definitely some loopholes in this twist: how did they know it would work? What if Luisa didn’t commit herself? What if someone else had seen Carl?
- Snip Goes Rogelio – Xo was over this baby business so she asked Rogelio to get snipped so that they wouldn’t have any more children. He wasn’t fond of the idea of getting rid of his manhood so she tried to manipulate him into the decision by dangling “sex” in front of him. If he loved her, he should be willing to do anything for her right? While I liked that this showed the alternative to getting your tubes tied because really, why do women have to do all the work, I didn’t like how Xo approached the situation.
Thoughts on this week’s Jane the Virgin? Who will die? And make sure to read my full review HERE!