There’s a darkness looming over Riverdale and I’m not just talking about the Black Hood anymore.
This masked killer has stated that he wants to rid the town of all the evil and crime, but essentially, everyone is doing that for him. All he had to do was sit back and relax as the Northsiders turned on the Southsiders and friends turned against family.
The town is turning on itself! There was a literal FIGHT in the rain between the Riverdale football team and the Southside Serpents. Black Hood clearly isn’t the only threat in this syruppy town.
1. The Letter – Betty got a letter from Black Hood, which basically said he was inspired by her speech at the town hall meeting. She was so embarrassed and scared that Archie would blame her for all this madness that she didn’t tell anyone about it, except Kevin. The letter came with a cipher that Black Hood said only she could decipher, but she turned it over to the cops and her mother, who published it in the paper. Pretty soon, everyone was trying to crack the code to get Black Hood’s next message. But if Betty had just listened to the letter, she would have realized sooner that the cipher was in a book she’d read when she was younger. She is like Nancy Drew after all! Now, I mentioned previously that I thought Black Hood was Hal Cooper and this is just more evidence to prove that. This is the second letter someone from the Cooper family has received and this person seems to know a lot about the family. If it isn’t Hal, it’s definitely her brother, which we know will be on the show sooner rather than later.
2. Archie, Calm it Down – I have no idea what Archie’s deal is but he’s literally asking for trouble. Alice Cooper said it was admirable that Archie was taking action and ready to fight instead of being a coward like his father but could we really call what he’s doing logical? It’s a nice idea to form a vigilante group but how much can we REALLY depend on high school football players? Why is he running around enemy territory waving a gun and drawing red circles everywhere? He’s over here looking like Beyonce in the Lemonade video being all reckless! Why did he bring the gun to school? Why did he make Veronica fetch it? What is his actual game plan when Black Hood finally does come for him? I just need answers here Arch.
3. The Lodges Are Up to No Good – Veronica is right about one thing, Archie is very impressionable. Hiram definitely planted this little seed of getting violent in Archie’s brain but the question is: why? What does Hiram stand to gain from all of it? There was also a questionable moment at the town hall where Hermione said that Fred might be a problem for the plan. What plan? It sure seemed like these two “lovebirds” were behind all the terror in town. And once again, why? In last week’s review, I talked about how weird Hermione was to her daughter now that Hiram was back versus during season one. Is she scared of Hiram? Is she in cahoots with him? Why does she want Veronica to break up with Archie? We’re clearly missing a piece of the puzzle here.
4. Bughead Is Over? – Betty had her plate full this week but she still managed to reach out to Jug multiple times. And he ignored her call to help out Toni crack the cipher. Something about the look Jug gave Toni when she came to the magazine was very unsettling. When Betty found out, she suggested they all work together, which basically screamed trouble. It’s obvious Toni is jealous/ intimidated by Betty with all the negative comments she was spewing, including ratting out Jughead for eating with the Serpents. Look, it’s clearly obvious that both sides hate each other but considering Betty is in love with a man whose split down the middle and loyal to both, she might be one of the more accepting Northsiders. Chill it out Toni.
5. Black Hood Has Betty’s Number – The episode ends with Black Hood calling Betty’s number for a “chat.” It’s definitely got A is calling the Pretty Little Liars vibes and I don’t know how I feel about that. I wasn’t expecting the season to go in this direction; why would the killer want to call Betty? Well unless of course, it’s her brother or her father that’s committing all these crimes.
- Veronica figuring out a way to make the whole school embrace the Red Circle was pretty cool. Never underestimate a hot cheerleader.
- Speaking of hot cheerleaders, why isn’t Cheryl getting more screentime? Or a decent storyline?
- And how is her mother’s face completely healed?
- Are we completely over the Jason Blossom storyline?
- Is Polly safe? When are the babies due?
- What was that N vs. S fight actually suppose to solve?
Who do you think is Black Hood’s next victim?