With just 7 episodes left of Pretty Little Liars, you’d think the writers would attempt to deliver high intensity, drama-filled and substantial episodes but this week, all we got was the usual fluff of writers trying to kill time. Unnecessary for sure, considering we have SO MANY UNANSWERED QUESTIONS AND SO LITTLE TIME. Can you tell I’m frustrated?
A.D playing with the girls and turning them into the worst and darkest versions of themselves is thrilling but at this point, expected.
Much of this week’s focus was on A.D tmaking Emily his next target using Alison’s mini, albeit more dangerous, twin. Everyone meet the new generation of Rosewood High’s bullies and liars.
Addison, which literally rhymes with Alison if you didn’t make the connection, pushes Emily’s buttons and launches a diabolical and unsettling plan using the Emily-Alison-Paige triangle. Her first attempt? Turning Paige against Emily by showing her a picture of the two being “touchy” and saying Emily is inappropriate with students.
Since Paige has dealt with this type of mean girl before, she didn’t get sucked in but rather promised Emily to put out the fire before it begins. That wasn’t A.D’s plan however and Emily had no other choice but to take the bait and play the game, lashing out at Addison with a monologue probably aimed at Alison circa season 1. I will say, compared to the other girls, A.D let Emily only attempting to unleash “dark” side. Unless the goal is to have Emily continue getting down with her bad self in order to beat him, losing the goodie two shoes she’s always been in the process.
Once Em completes her mission (yes, even after she said she wasn’t playing anymore leaving the girls to think that they’d lost a trooper), A.D left her the next piece of the puzzle. According to Spencer, when they all take their turn, it’ll reveal a map that leads to something – maybe quite literally the end?
We know that Ezra and Aria will eventually end up getting married because if any couple is #endgame it’s them… well besides #Haleb of course. Before we get to the happily ever after however, we have to get through Aria wallowing in self-doubt as Ezra continues to be the hero for his ex-not-fiancee. Aria had to make that clear with the reporter who still made the jab, “there’s two of you?”
To clear her mind, she turned to Holden, who allowed her to get it all out on the tomatoes and other veggies needed for his catering order. Aria reached a boiling point when a photo of Nicole and Ezra embracing went viral and decided to pay the ex a little visit. Then things got awkward because Holden chased her down pleading “don’t” as if she was going to go poison this girl with salt water taffy. Does he know something we don’t know about Aria? Is she A.D? Did he just want to stop her from self-sabotaging? Or was this his brilliant plan to lure her away from Ezra because let’s be honest, he never liked him. When Aria took his advice, he swooped in offering a dinner and a shoulder to cry on. I’d say, he’s definitely making his move.
Hanna and Mona continued to focused on their new fashion empire, being the bad bitches that they are… well at least Mona. Ever since A.D entered their lives, which seems like forever, Hanna has lost her confidence, especially when it comes to her work. Mona has been there steering the ship, which Hanna appreciated for the most part until she stepped out of line and showed one of Han’s personal designs to a client.
Initially, it’s unclear why Hanna is so against promoting the specific dress but soon we realize that most of the design was influenced by her dragon of a boss, Claudia, so she’s not sure if she has the right to use it. Caleb’s theory is that Claudia was a raging biatch so yeah, Hanna has every right. We’ll see about that. Things take a horrible turn when somehow, Jenna gets her hands on a WHITE version of the dress and the girls know A.D is behind it.
Needing answers, Hanna and Caleb track her down to Philadelphia with her blind sidekicks. Of course, while doing some snooping, Hanna is outsmarted by A.D who locks her in a cage, triggering PTSD from that time she was locked up and prodded like a cow. Seriously, Caleb should never let this girl out of his sight – she’s always getting the worst treatment from A.D!
Speaking of, Jenna, she’s clearly back in town and causing a hubbub. She made her entrance at the police station telling Detective Marco a sob story about how she was used as a pawn to do Noel Kahn’s bidding. Spencer knows it’s a lie and so do we, especially since we saw her hanging out with A.D reading a braille book that explained all about this supposed #EndGame. Without any proof, however, the Liars have no other choice but to play the game and hope they strike gold. Yeah, right.
- Spencer found out that her sister Melissa doesn’t know about Mary Drake being her real mother. Considering Melissa has always been really suspicious, the question is – what did she know?
- Spencer enlists hottie detective to find her mama, even showing him the letter, but never admitting where she found it. “Oh you know, around the house while dusting.”
- Her mom does know that she’s selling the house because “it’s time to get out of Rosewood.” You think? I think it’s past the time.
- Sidney was mentioned multiple times and I had to think really hard to remember if she died. She didn’t and the Liars think that she’s Jenna’s seeing eye dog and the one controlling the board game.
- We still have no idea who Charlotte’s dad is, who killed Charlotte and where Mary Drake is.
- Why aren’t we getting answers?
- Is Yvonne okay? Is Toby still going to marry her? Where is #Spoby when you need them?
- Where is Lucas?
- When will we see Wren.
The Dialogue Was on Point This Week
Emily: “I park in the faculty lot now, ok Hanna” – Emily’s response when Hanna assures her she’s “still in high school”
Aria: “She has balls the size of church bells” – Spencer referring to Jenna’s bravery for returning to Rosewood… again!
Seriously… I just need so much more in this last hurrah. If the finale doesn’t meet all my expectations, I will curse the day I watched the pilot and got sucked into I. Marlene King’s twisted world of mysteries and A.
Pretty Little Liars – Farewell, My Lovely (7×19)
Have you heard the tale of the “twisted sister?”
Doesn’t ring a bell? Think hard…. it’s a story you’ve been hearing about for roughly 7 years, masked under the nickname A.D.
The final round of A.D’s game reached it’s end on Tuesday night, leaving even the strongest of fans a hot mess.
This was the last time that the liars would solve mysteries in Rosewood and you know that the writers and Marlene would “go big or go home.” How could you expect anything less? The pressure was really on for Pretty Little Liars to impress a fandom waited several year’s to find out the identity their tormentor.
After the reveal, negative comments began swarming in about how they were disappointed with the outcome but realistically, despite their best efforts, any “A” revelation was going to be a letdown simply because it was so hyped up…. we’ve imagined it in our minds on so many occasion. I’v heard complaints that it was far fetched but if you think that, you must not have been paying attention the past few years. This is the same show that blows up telephones, that had the liars trapped in a doll house with exact replicas of their bedrooms, that had a board game dictating their every move. When has anything ever been REALISTIC in Rosewood? Last time I checked, the definition of Rosewood was “batshit crazy” so really, when it came to the finale, it was best to leave expectations at the door and strap in for a wonderfully bonkers ride. No one comes to Rosewood for realism, we come for the crazy and the twisted and in that regard, the finale delivered.
Charlotte’s death marked the end of A and the beginning of A.D and while the tricks and torments may seem the same, they aren’t the same person, nor do they have quite the same motive. But they are connected by blood because as it turns out, every motive that A, Uber A or A.D ever had was motivated by a dysfunctional family.
Without further ado… A.D is….
Never heard of her? We don’t blame you. Up until a few hours ago, we hadn’t either. You might not recognize her name but you’ll definitely recognize her face because it’s Spencer Hastings. Well, her evil twin.
Let’s backtrack a bit though shall we?
Last weeks strange episode saw “A.D” driving off into the sunset as the liars figured they’d finally beaten Liars Lament when Mona confessed to killing Charlotte. Even though they didn’t really know who A.D was, they just assumed it was #endgame and that was the last they’d hear from him/her… but that was naive. A.D has a way of sneaking up on you and showing up at the most innoportune of times, in this case, a year later when everyone was happy and Aria and Ezra were about to exchange “I do’s.”
When we catch up with the liars, you realize what a difference a year can make. Emily and Alison became parents to beautiful TWIN girls (definitely foreshadowing here), Spencer’s working as a paralegal at her mother’s firm and finishing up law school, and Toby is returning from a soul-searching trip to Africa.
The couple you thought would continue to be the strongest, Caleb and Hannah, were having marital problems because of their struggle to have a baby. That and Mona was finally released from Welby and Hannah, who felt indebted to her former BFF, allowed her to stay at their loft. “She has no one else,” she kept telling her friends and family, but that wasn’t enough for Caleb. He’s always been the wisest of the group and knew that there was no way they could trust Mona after all that she’s put them through.
Seems like we should trust Caleb’s gut because the minute Mona got her freedom, she went right back to doing A.D’s bidding. She still didn’t know who was running the game but was eager to find out so she followed the instructions, wearing a Melissa mask to spy on the girls. Fans briefly thought that Spencer’s sister was the ringleader and well, they weren’t too far off – it wasn’t Melissa but it was Alex, who Spencer came face to face with after being knocked out by Mona and locked up in a cell. Yep, we were right on the money with that twin theory!
Seeing Spencer and Alex stare at each other was equally as eerie as it was insane. The British half of Spencer, who had a terrible English accent, was thrilled to meet her sister. She was also borderline insane but you probably could have guessed that considering her mother is Mary Drake and she was born in Radley. The phrase “all roads lead to Radley” has literally never been clearer.
It didn’t take long for Alex Drake to open up to Spencer and give her the backstory as to how she got there. She was given up for adoption when she was an infant but once she began showing troubling signs, the family gave her up to an orphanage. Wren discovered her in a bar at London and filled her in on this whole family that she literally never knew she had, including half-sister Charlotte, who became the only family she’d ever known. She loved Charlotte, she was loyal to her, she became her friend and then, when she was killed, she channeled that anger on the liars.
So yes, the game was started by Mona, stolen from her by Charlotte and when she died, taken by Alex, who wanted NOTHING more than to get revenge on her “dolls” for killing her sister. But despite being a villain, she also had a soul and she was jealous of Spencer and her friends for having everything she never did. She quickly realized that despite everything that A threw at them, they were always going to be friends, always going to stick up for each other, always going to be there for each other. And she wanted that, so she devised a plan to infiltrate the group by assuming Spencer’s identity. She wanted her life and she wanted Toby.
Literally, every scene where you thought “that’s unlike Spencer” was your gut telling you that it is in fact Alex. That hallucination Hannah had after being kidnapped and tortured – Alex. Kissing Toby before he left with Yvonne – Alex. Sleeping with Toby in the cabin – Alex. Running into Ezra at the airport – Alex. If you caught on, go tell your friends you told ’em so.
After clearing the air, Alex locked Spencer and Mary back up and left for Aria’s wedding, fully knowing it would never happen because she kidnapped Ezra who had figured it out. Sadly, Aria didn’t know any of that and thought that maybe the fight they had the night before about her infertility gave him cold feet.
If I was Spencer, I’d be pissed that none of my friends figured out that some imposter was pretending to be me. I mean, Alex was good at nailing Spencer’s talk, walk, and character to a tee but she wasn’t Spence. How did no one pick up on that? But crazy always starts showing and soon enough, Jenna, who knew all along that Charlotte had a sister, figured it out and informed Toby, who was also skeptical after seeing Spencer’s beloved horse get hostile around her.
After that, he pieced it together – the book she gave him before he drove off with Yvonne didn’t have any notes in it, which was unlike her. It was also unlike her to kiss him when he was engaged or to pounce him after his wife passed. “What if twins run in the family,” he told the liars. “That would give A.D motive,” Caleb retorted.
Before you know it, they had located Spencer’s phone and surprisingly, it was at Toby’s old house. This CRAZY person bought the house Toby built for Spencer, keeping her and Ezra prisoners smack dab in the middle of Rosewood. Spencer’s craftiness came in handy and she was able to break them both out using a bobby pin she pulled out of Mary Drake’s hair when they embraced.
If we learned anything from the dollhouse it’s that escaping a psycho with unlimited funds is virtually impossible. When they ran outdoors, they found themselves trapped inside a huge underground dome that was built to mimic Rosewood and an axe-wielding Alex right behind them. Literally, you could see the crazy in here eyes.
As a sister fight ensued, Ezra was knocked to the ground. Thankfully, the liars along with Caleb and Toby found them just in time and came face to face with a set of identical twins dressed exactly the same. Which Spencer was the real Spencer? Easy, Toby simply asked for Spencer’s favorite poem from the book, which the real Spence gladly recited. Toby asked them both for real Spencer’s favorite poem and just like that, they figured it out.
Mona, who was accused of once again conspiring with A.D, revealed that she was always playing the game simply to help them this whole time. It’s definitely a redeeming moment for her and while it’s normal that the liars had their reservations, it speaks volumes to Hannah for always sticking by her friend and defending her, even though she tried to kill her multiple times.
With their tormentor finally gone for good, the girls were ready to start their next chapters. They took their final walk around Rosewood, a town that for once could enjoy some peace and quiet. Aria and Ezra were gearing up for their honeymoon in the South of France, Emily and Alison were just enjoying being parents to beautiful daughters Lily and Grace, whose biological father turned out to be Alex’s ex-Wren. She admitted to killing him when she decided to fully go through with her plan to assume Spencer’s identity and kept his ashes close to her in a diamond because “diamonds are forever.” (RIP Wren, you didn’t deserve this, although I was always convinced you did.) I don’t think Alison and Emily ever found out who the biological father was and I guess it’s for the better.
Spencer and Toby finally found their way back to each other after he stepped up to save her. Toby sat much of season 7 out and wasn’t really involved in the AD madness, at least not that he knew of. It was nice to see him brought back into the loop the way Caleb and Ezra have always been.
And thankfully, things for Hannah and Caleb worked out because she revealed that she was expecting a little baby Haleb. Not to jinx it but it seems like everyone got their happy ending.
“It feels like the end of something,” Alison admitted and I’d have to agree… it’s the end of A.D, of the games, of the threatening text messages and constantly living in fear. It’s the end of our relationship with the liars as we know it. But there’s beauty in the end because it also opens the door for a new beginning, which these girls needly BADLY. We can leave Rosewood knowing that their friendships will weather any storms… I mean, they all survived AD!
As for Mona, she got an ending that only she deserved. She moved to France, began dating some Robert Pattison lookalike cop who was completely unaware that she had split personalities and was holding both Mary Drake and Alex Drake hostage in the basement of her doll shop while forcing them to partake in “afternoon tea” parties. Literally, MONA TOOK THE GAME BACK! “She can’t keep us here forever,” Mary exclaimed. “Yes she can, she’s Mona,” Alex said while rolling her eyes. Game recognizes game. I could totally see a spinoff with Mona and Alex taking on the game together.
To me, that was a fitting ending but for some reason Marlene decided to assure us that even without AD and without the liars, the mythology of Rosewood continues. The mini-me liars aka Addison and her friends recreate the very first scene of the series when the girls woke up in the barn only to find Ali had disappeared. Throughout the season, they kept teasing that these girls would be the next liars, with Maya’s niece even finding a stabbed doll in her locker. While I get that it comes full circle, I don’t believe that history would repeat itself in this same way. Let it go, Marlene, let it go. Rosewood has seen enough.
- The moms are goals. I want to join their mom club and drink with them. Kudos to them for acknowledging that they too were too drunk to remember how they got out of the basement.
- Alison’s proposal to Emily while wearing a pug hoodie was everything. I’m glad Emison got their happily ever after, even if it was forced by someone impregnating Ali against her will.
- Turns out, Archer Dunhill was never actually involved with Alex’s plan. He loved Charlotte so much that after she was killed, decided to get his own revenge on Alison and her friends. Turns out creepy is as creepy hangs out with.
- I’m surprised that Alex, Charlotte, Wren and Archer “hung out” all the time in Rosewood yet no one ever saw anything. This town needs better law enforcement I swear.
- I feel a bit jipped when it comes to seeing the liars’ stories play out, specifically Hannah telling Caleb that she was pregnant. I definitely wish we would have seen his reaction.
- Maybe I missed this but was Spencer’s relationship with Caleb and Marco actually her or was that all Alex?
Saying goodbye to these girls was hard. I watch a lot of shows and haven’t formed such a bond with other characters as I did with Aria, Spencer, Hannah, Emily and Alison. It felt like I was watching my friends grow up, start new lives and finally free themselves from a cyber bully that took it too far. It’s bittersweet but like they say, don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.
And to echo Spencer, how lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard?
What did you think of the finale? Was it everything you wanted it to be? Did you want more closure? Let me know what you’re thinking.
6 Burning “Pretty Little Liars” Questions We Need Answered During The Series Finale
We never thought we’d actually make it to this day but here we are, mere hours from finding out who A.D finally is and ending this game once and for all.
It’s been 7 long, long, LONG years and we’ve gone through so much with the Liars, some of which we don’t even remember because we got lost somewhere in the twists and turns of the Lost Woods.
After tonight’s 2-hour SERIES FINALE of Pretty Little Liars, we will finally have all the answers we’ve been so patiently waiting for.
Aria, Spencer, Hannah, Alison and Emily’s stories will come to an end but these friendships we’ve made, they’ll live on forever. (Hopefully until the movie comes out!)
While we still need to find out who A.D is, there are some other pressing questions still lingering and we need some closure.
1. Why Did A.D do all of this?
I think more fascinating than the ‘who’ is the ‘why’ here. Sure, we were shocked when it was revealed that Charlotte was Uber A but it was more twisted, more mind-blowing to find out why she did what she did. Up until this point, we’ve narrowed down a list of possible suspects, but the backstory, the reasoning behind all the torture is still something we’re having trouble piecing together. Why would someone go through all this trouble to torture 4 small town girls?
2. Who is the father of Emily and Alison’s baby?
Will this person be the same as A.D? We know A.D stole Emily’s eggs and inseminated Alison with them but we don’t exactly know who the other half is. Marlene says both the A.D reveal and the father reveal are “rewarding, satisfying and surprising.” Ah, the anticipation is killing me!
3. How did the mom’s get out of the basement?
No… I won’t let it go. Did they crawl out through a window? Did someone let them out? Do they really not suspect any foul play in Rosewood?
4. What’s The Deal with Bethany Young?
I have to consider that Bethany Young is somehow connected to this A.D madness. If you don’t remember, she’s the girl that’s allegedly in Ali’s grave, was Charlotte’s BFF in Radley and also allegedly killed Toby’s mom. We’ve mentioned her on so many occasions but never actually saw her in teen or adult form…. why?
5. Who Killed Sara Harvey?
We know Mona accidentally killed Charlotte but who killed Sara Harvey? Was it A.D because she was getting too close to the truth?
6. How Is Wren Involved?
Wren, who has been in and out of the show since season 1, has to be serving a bigger purpose here. Especially since he was just whispering about something with Spencer in an airport…. why is he back in town? Who is he shooting in the final promo? How has been involved this whole time?
We have a theory about A.D’s identity, which you can READ HERE.
See you tonight little liars!
‘Pretty Little Liars’ Series Finale Theory – Is Spencer’s Twin Sister A.D?
We have a full 2-hour series finale of Pretty Little Liars to get through tonight and while fans will finally find out who the twisted, mysterious and sociopathic A.D is, there’s a popular fan theory circulating the internet right now – Spencer’s evil twin sister.
I’ve been down this “who is A.D” avenue one to many times and have failed to come up with anything plausible or satisfactory but I can’t argue with the facts here.
Since the series strayed so far from the books, it would make sense that Marlene would want to honor them some way and involve a twin.
We initially thought that Marlene King swapped out “twin” for “transgender sister” but maybe that’s just what she needed to get us off the right path.
And really, once you see all the evidence, including all of the discrepancies in Spencer’s outfits, moods and watches, you’ll have a hard time arguing a different theory.
- Twins run in the family with Mary and Jessica being identical. Mary is Spencer’s mother but she also reportedly gave birth to two babies in Radley. We initially assumed it was Charlotte but what if there was another child? This is definitely possible with the revelation that Pastor Ted is Charlotte’s biological father. If there were “babies” it would have both been by Peter Hastings….
- Spencer was born in Radley and then spent some time there so it makes sense she’d have a strong connection with it. That would explain the dancing scene with guest star Maddie Ziegler. She was hallucinating a twin moment and remembering the time she spent in that room.
- Marlene said that they would make it so that fans could figure it out before the finale. At this point, all signs point to a second Spencer and many fans are jumping on the bandwagon.
- Keegan Allen, who plays Toby, said that there would not be another Spoby kiss in season 7 yet it happened…. we all saw it. Unless, that wasn’t Spencer. It did feel a little out of character for Spence to just jump his bones right after his wife died. Then Toby may have foreshadowed this by stating “that’s not the Spencer I know.”
- In fact, Spencer has been a lot more flirtatious this season. Just think of how she played Marco and how she had a fling with Caleb, despite him being Hannah’s ex! And even after she found out they were married, she still told him “not to forget any of it because she wouldn’t.” Really girl?
- When Hannah is abducted, she has a vision or some hallucination of Spencer telling her that “If AD can come in and out of here you can too.” We hadn’t heard the name AD yet so how would she have know that? This could have been the twin. Mary also sings the same song to Spencer that Spencer sang to Hannah.
- Some say the twin is actually Bethany Young and this would bring her back into the equation since we never had any closure on her. Maybe she isn’t dead and buried in Ali’s grave, maybe she’s ACTUALLY the twin who has been running this whole operation.
- If we were to believe Bethany is Spencer’s twin, that would explain why Peter Hasting’s didn’t want Toby to dig deeper into his mother’s death. Remember that Bethany allegedly killed Marion Cavanaugh and if Toby got more info, he would have pieced together her identity.
- Jessica DiLaurentis reportedly took Bethany on trips when she was in Radley and made her call her “Aunt Jessie.” That would only make sense if she was Mary Drake’s daughter, thus Spencer’s twin. Plus we know they would go to the stables and Spencer loves horses.
- A twin would definitely explain that bizarre moment with Spencer, Wren and Ezra at the airport. Spencer was acting really shady and even asked Ezra not to mention it to the girls. We then never found out why Wren was just “passing by” Rosewood but I doubt that’s a pit stop on the way from London. Maybe this wasn’t the real Spencer but the twin who may have been caught up.
- There’s one scene where Mary Drake looks at a picture of Spencer and Melissa and comments that they could be like “twins.” Another form of foreshadowing?
- Spencer’s mother once yells at her and says “it was like there were two Spencer’s living in this house, the Spencer we recognized and her evil twin and we never knew which one was coming down for breakfast.”
- Some say Spencer isn’t even in this season and the whole time, it’s been her twin. We meet Spencer again after a time jump, which means the twin could have kidnapped and locked the real Spencer up and taken over her life in an attempt to have real friends. In the series finale promo, we see Mary Drake sedating “Spencer,” which is odd because she’s supposed to be in jail and allegedly loves her daughter?
- Most of the series, if you think about it, circles around Ali and Spencer with season 7 focusing on the Hasting’s the most. There has to be a reason for it… and a reason why Melissa and Wren are suddenly back in town.
Debunking That Theory
Some say that the theory is pretty out there, even for PLL. I wouldn’t put anything past Marlene King considering the first A was Charlotte, the transgender daughter of Mary Drake, Jessica’s twin sister who actually dated her cousin briefly. I mean, that’s PRETTY twisted. Not to mention this is a world well cellphones burst into flames and Caleb can locate someone with a car key FOB. (Why not just use the new Snapchat map update bruh?!)
Let’s consider for a moment that the twin theory is too simple and expected. We know that A.D has a penchant for using masks that look very realistic, think Archer wearing a Detective Wilden mask to fool Ali into thinking she’s crazy. Maybe it will be a twin reveal of sorts but the real A.D will just be wearing a realistic Spencer mask.
If Spencer’s twin isn’t A.D, the only other option in my mind is Wren. Wren has also been involved in this madness since season 1 and his return only means trouble. Plus, he’s British and a doctor, just like Archer Dunhill and his father has had a history of mental illness. Maybe he spent so much time at Radley, he befriended Charlotte, got caught up in all the drama and carried out her game after she was killed?
Little Liars, tell me, what’s your A.D theory?! We’ll talk about how wrong we all were tomorrow.
American Horror Story6 years ago
American Horror Story- Coven “The Axeman Cometh” (3×06)
Quantico3 years ago
Quantico – Yes (1×22)
Coffee Table News5 years ago
Ian Somerhalder talks Damon and Elena Relationship
Jane The Virgin2 years ago
Jane the Virgin – Chapter Fifty-Four (3×10)
Coffee Table News5 years ago
Baywatch Remake Ready For the Big-Screen
Coffee Table News5 years ago
PLL Season 5- Extended Sneak Peek
Hawaii Five-O5 years ago
Hawaii Five-0: A’ohe kahi e pe’e ai (Nowhere to Hide) (5X01
Interviews6 years ago
Interview with Bethany Joy Lenz!